Yesterday was the first day on the job. Upon arrival at the main office in Augusta, I found I had my own cubicle, complete with computer and paper recycling bin! Everyone in the unit is more than friendly. I mostly filled out paper work, met other DOT interns, went on building tours, and met administrative individuals yesterday. Today involves planning for the trip to Sherman Marsh tomorrow
(located in Newcastle http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=44.011398,-69.595985&daddr=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=14&sll=44.005904,-69.595728&sspn=0.028398,0.058022&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14 )
The dam under Rt 1 blew out in the 2005 rain storms, and now Sherman Lake is Sherman Marsh. DOT is working to re-establish a healthy marsh for mitigation purposes
(compensatory mitigation www.epa.gov/owow/wetlands/pdf/CMitigation.pdf )
Oh, and on a side note to anyone traveling in southern Maine via 295 in the next few weeks:
beginning June 16th, I-295 Southbound between Gardiner and Topsham will be closed until August 30th. Seek alternate route.
2008-05-28
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment