2008-06-02

Alot has happened since my last post!

Thursday last week I traveled to Wiscasset and met up with two field biologists there, and we all went out (including the other intern) to streams around Wiscasset and Edgecomb, in areas of intersection for the proposed Wiscasset Bypass. Our task: characterize the stream--what type of stream it was, if a stream at all, the living organisms in and around it, whether there was potential for contamination from the bypass, etc.

All this involved hiking out into the middle of the woods, with the aide of the Trimble GeoXT--> http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/~sdalhelp/equipment/trimblegeoxt.html
which I was allowed to use!

I learned several new things including insect species like the the Caddis Fly http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/cimg245.html

and the May Fly

and plant species like Spartina altinaflora

and Spartina patens
On Friday I traveled to Newcastle, where my boss, the other intern (Katie) and I canoed up Sherman Marsh and placed Data loggers for water level and temperature information


I ended up thigh deep in mud, but had a blast. The weather was perfect, and we saw plenty of wildlife, including a horse-shoe crab (http://www.ocean.udel.edu/horseshoecrab/) that did not want to be examined!!

I also learned how to survey elevation using a tripod, level, and metric meter pole, and how to count decimal feet (http://daveosborne.com/dave/articles/decimalfeet.php)

**photos curtosy of Google Image Search**
Today I was in the office.
Tomorrow I am headed up to Holden to go to a meeting for the Environmental Impact Statement (http://ohioline.osu.edu/cd-fact/0188.html) work on the proposed 395-Rt 9 Pass


No comments: